Friday, August 24, 2007

Feast Day of St. Bartholomew and Interesting Occupations

St. BartholomewJusepe de Ribera. The Martyrdom of St. Bartholomew

Sorry I am so late in posting this.

First it was the picture Karen selected for this saint's feast day that caught my attention. Then on the same post, she introduced her readers to a wonderful new blog Shoved to Them. But it was her description of the occupation, that makes me want to compete with her for the job. I guess if the Vatican ever posts a want ad for the job, Karen has dibs. Oh, BTW, The Mom has her sights set on the second coolest Vatican job...just check out Karen's comments.

5 comments:

Mimi said...

My youngest son's Heavenly Patron is the Apostle Bartholomew, so he has a special place in my heart (although the Orthodox feast day is in June)

Holy St. Bartholomew, pray to God for us.

gemoftheocean said...

Gee, thanks for the link. BTW, Esther, it seems to me if you haven't seen it - you might enjoy the UK film called "Millions."

Just. See. It. A little boy, whose mother died has a surprisingly intimate life with the saints! Too allegorical and rich to describe here. It might not be suitable for really young children, given one scene - but decide for yourself.

EC Gefroh said...

Oh that is so nice Mimi. BTW, why is the Orthodox feast day in June?

I've never heard of it Karen. But it sounds like something we would like. I will have to look for it. Mahalo!

Mimi said...

You know, the August day is the translation of St. Bartholomew's relics, so I assume that he must have died on June 11, which is when his Feast Day is. However, I could be wrong, as the entire month of June is very Apostolic, ending with the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul on the 29th, and the Synaxis of the Holy Apostles (all of them) on the 30th, so that may be why it is in June.

EC Gefroh said...

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by the translation of his relics. But the rest makes sense :-)