Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Why Go to Church?

Hat tip to my friend Cc.

Photo of St. Augustine, Waikiki courtesy of
P Base

Why Go To Church? A Church goer wrote a letter to the editor of a
newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday. "I've gone for 30 years now," he wrote, "and in that time I have heard something like 3,000 sermons. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them. So, I think I'm wasting my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all."

This started a real controversy in the "Letters to the Editor" column, much to the delight of the editor. It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher:

"I've been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But, for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know this.. They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife
had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today.


Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!" When you are DOWN to nothing.... God is UP to something! Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible! Thank God for our physical AND our spiritual nourishment!

Submitted to Prayer_Call by Phil Howard

2 comments:

catholicandgop said...

I passed this on to my other Catholic group.

I'm going to link it on my blog later. :)

EC Gefroh said...

Oh good!