Friday, June 13, 2008

Fine Art Friday - Pietro Perugino

PPSelf Portrait
Self Portrait

PPKeys to St. Peter
The Keys to St. Peter

PPSt. Jerome
St. Jerome Supporting Two Men at the Gallows

PPCrucifixion
The Crucifixion

PP2
PPMadonna
Madonna and Child

PP
PPPieta
Pieta

PPSan Sebastian
St. Sebastian

PPBaptism Jordan
Baptism at the Jordan

Pietro Perugino (1446–1524) was the leading painter of the Umbrian school, who developed some of the qualities that found classic expression in the High Renaissance.

He was born Pietro Vannucci in Città della Pieve, Umbria, the son of Cristoforo Vannucci; his nickname characterizes him as from Perugia, the chief city of Umbria.

Pietro painted at Arezzo, thence moved to Florence. The date of this first Florentine sojourn is by no means settled; some make it as early as 1470, others push the date to 1479. According to Vasari, he apprenticed in the atelier of Andrea del Verrocchio alongside Leonardo da Vinci. He may have learned perspective from Piero della Francesca. In 1472 he must have completed his apprenticeship, for he was enrolled as a painter in the confraternity of St Luke.

Perugino was one of the earliest Italian practitioners of oil painting. Some of his early works were extensive frescoes for the convent of the Ingesati fathers, destroyed during the siege of Florence, 1537; he produced for them also many cartoons, which they executed with brilliant effect in stained glass. A good specimen of his early style in tempera is the tondo (circular picture) in the Musée du Louvre of the Virgin and Child Enthroned between Saints.
Source Wikipedia

8 comments:

Rosemary said...

Beautiful paintings!

teresa_anawim2 said...

Ah! It's FAF!
I do not know much about this artist, but now I know a bit more. Thanks.
Not being a visual artist aficionado, or one who has ever studies the visual arts, I was first taken by his clean result(for lack of a better word). Pristine. Clear and clear cut.
Precise and defined.
Hey...there is St Sebastian again...I think you like that martyr, Es.

Easter Almuena said...

I love this Friday post of yours, Esther! Thank you!

Have a great weekend!!!

Easter Almuena said...

Esther,
off the record (I have been using my laptop lately, the other computer is just too slow).

Please go to my blog Mostly Prayers and cut and paste announcement of Divine Mercy and post it on this blog. I so appreciate it. Some of us homeschoolers are going. My girls and I will be there.
Many thanks and love,
Easter:-)

EC Gefroh said...

Yes, I agree with your assessment of the way Perugino painted Teresa. Tee hee, I didn't notice but I do have an affinity for the martyrs :-)

Thanks dear Easter.

BTW, I responded on your blog :-)

hugs to you both.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this Esther. I am toying with the idea of using fine art pictures to teach my little ones about the rosary. We tell the story of each mystery but I think they need a visual.
I love your 'bite size' overviews here on art. I encourage my older children to take a look.

EC Gefroh said...

Glad you enjoyed them Rosemary.

If you want to teach your children about the Rosary with pictures, check out my Holy Rosary site:
http://www.angelfire.com/hi3/catholichomeschool/rosary.html#anchor%20joyful Just click on the mysteries and it will bring to each individual one.

Tracy said...

Beautiful Esther!