Friday, April 11, 2008

Fine Art Friday - Paolo Veronese

We are spotlighting artist Paolo Veronese this week.
Paolo Veronese was an Italian painter of the Renaissance in Venice, famous for paintings such as The Wedding at Cana and The Feast in the House of Levi. He adopted the name Paolo Cagliari or Paolo Caliari,[1] and became known as "Veronese" from his birthplace in Verona.
Source: Wikipedia
Wisdom and Strength
Wisdom and Strength

Dead Christ
Dead Christ Supported by Angels

Virtue and Vice
The Choice Between Virtue and Vice

Lot's Family
Lot's Family Fleeing Sodom and Gomorrah

Battle of Lepanto
Battle of Lepanto

Christ's Resurrection
Christ's Resurrection

5 comments:

teresa_anawim2 said...

Virtue and Vice.
How appealing and innocent and pure vice looks, but behind her back hidden from view is .....well...see for yourself!

Then I look at virtue....snatching him away from vice...

Immediately I thought that our featured artist must have been inspired by the Scripture Jude 1:23
"save others by snatching them out of the fire; on others have mercy with fear, 14 abhorring even the outer garment stained by the flesh."

There is a lot in today's FAF...I will return and visit the other prints later on.

I find this Vice and Virtue very 'heavy duty'.
Thanks for FAF, once again, Es.
I know it takes time to research and search for prints which catch your eye.
I am grateful for this .

EC Gefroh said...

Mahalo for taking the time to really observe that one Teresa!

teresa_anawim2 said...

It hit me as soon as I viewed the print! Strong message in that one.

teresa_anawim2 said...

One more thing I notice about Renaissance art....fat and stocky was the 'in' thing.

EC Gefroh said...

Oh yeah. That was the look men liked I guess....