Saturday, September 29, 2007

To My Grown Up Son

To My Grown-Up Son

My Hands were busy through the day;
I didn’t have much time to play
The little games you asked me to.
I didn’t have much time for you.

I’d Wash your clothes, I’d sew and cook,
But when you’d bring your picture book
And ask me please to share your fun
I’d say: "A little later, son."

I’d tuck you in all safe at night
and hear your prayers, turn out the lights,
Then tip toe softly to the door...
I wish I’d stayed a minute more.

For life is short, the years rush past...
A little boy grows up so fast.
No longer is he at your side
His precious secrets to confide.

The picture books are put away,
There are no longer games to play,
No good-night kiss,
No prayers to hear...
That all belongs to yesteryear

My hands, once busy, now are still,
The days are long and hard to fill,
I wish I could go back and do
The little things you asked me to.

-Deb Barone - 1978

Source: Scion of Zion I originally read it in Chicken Soup for the Woman's Soul.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. Thankyou Esther:)

God bless you & your lovely family:)

In friendship,

Marie

Michelle said...

:*) I think about this a lot now that I'm an *older* mommy. Whenever my 6 yr old son asks me to hold him, I drop what I'm doing....'cuz I don't know if he'll ever ask me again. Time with our little ones is precious. Thanks for the beautiful reminder.

Anonymous said...

my boys are 8 & 10..time does fly..

Easter Almuena said...

Oh Esther,
What a beautiful reminder for all of us!
Thanks for sharing!

Michele said...

i have nominated you for the mathetes award. see my blog for details.

Micki said...

What a wonderful post. Thankfully Joey is still there to be with.

EC Gefroh said...

Thank you dear Marie!

Michelle, we adopted Joey at 5. I knew the years would speed by and they have.

Jackie, you only have two boys?

Easter, yw!

Mahalo DM!

That is so true Micki!

Unknown said...

This made me sad too!

Lovely poem.

EC Gefroh said...

Glad you liked it Heather.