Saturday, July 07, 2007

On the Sacrament of Confession

Confession
Since Saturday is traditionally the day most people would go to Confession, I thought I would share the following reflection:
"Satan loves sin and hates the grace of Confession that comes to us through the power of the cross of Christ. The devil will try to stop you from going to Confession. He will make you feel frightened, embarrassed, proud, filled with despair or anger. The holy Bishop, Saint Antoninus said, 'The devil takes our shame away so that we sin with ease and then gives it back when we think about going to confession.' In other words, the suppression of shame that makes sin possible, flares up again to make Confession seem impossible."
The devil also causes trouble after confession. Have you ever noticed that after leaving the confessional, you feel that the weight of the world has been lifted from you shoulders, yet before you know it, situations come up and you are sinning again, albeit venial sins?
"if the idea of Confession makes you feel uneasy, turn for help tot he Mother of God. Ask her to fill your heart with confidence in Christ's love for you, His desire to forgive your sins. She will help you think of Him hanging on the cross in agony, praying for you and your conversion. He is thirsty for your love. Quench that thirst by confessing your sins. Ask the Virgin Mary to take you by the hand and bring you to Jesus in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Through her motherly help you will feel the freedom to open your heart to the mercy that flows from the wounded Heart of Jesus Christ".
Source: A Guide to Confession by Rev. Frederick L. Miller and published through through the Blue Army Shrine.

For a guide to confession, please visit Fr. Z's 20 Tips for Making a Good Confession

5 comments:

Rosemary said...

wow, what a nice post. Lots of wisdom there. Thanks,

EC Gefroh said...

You're welcome Rosemary. Nice to see you back!

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Thank you for such an important post! Our Lord will reward you for this! Did you know that St. John Vianney, the great Confessor often had so many people lined up waiting to go to Confession with him? He has said that he could actually see the demons around all of the people telling them that they didn't have to go to Confession, trying to trick them out of it!!

God bless,
Donna

Tracy said...

I had to put this on my blog too, I hope you didn't mind. This really spoke to me, I get so nervous about confession that I went several years without going, I would be in line and then get so scared and nervous, finally I gave it to the Lord and also asked Mary to Pray for me to get over this awful fear and anxiety and now I am able to go to confession without all that stress and fear and since going back to confession I have felt such a huge burden lifted off my shoulders.
I just love your blog, I read it several times every day, it really uplifts me and helps me to learn more about the Catholic faith... thank you so much for your gift of words!

EC Gefroh said...

Donna, although I did know about people lining up, I did not know that St. John Vianney could actually see the devils. Thank you for sharing that.

Tracy, I do not mind at all. In fact, thank you for sharing it with others. Thank you so much for your very kind words.