Thursday, June 04, 2015

Meatless Recipe - Caesar Salad



I try to make Caesar salad only on special occasions.  If I make it too often, I am afraid we will stop appreciating the tantalizing flavors.  The picture above was taken on Mother's Day.  My mom and I made dinner for my family.  I will try to share the recipe for the homemade Fettuccini Alfredo at another time.

The original Caesar Salad was made in a big wooden bowl.  I had to modify the preparation because we do not have a large wooden bowl, or any wooden bowl for that matter.  This recipe belongs to my husband.  We once at a wonderful Italian restaurant that made the salad table side.  My husband somehow was able to duplicate the delectable flavors.  He makes the dressing with a mortar and pestle.  I make the dressing in a food processor.

Caesar Salad 

Leaves from one Romaine Lettuce, washed and dried carefully
1/2 to 1 cup homemade croutons (1/2 French Baguette, cut into cubes, place in a bowl and add 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle generously with powered garlic (or garlic powder)
Place on a baking sheet and put into a cold oven.  Turn the oven on to 350 degrees.  As the oven preheats, the croutons are toasting.  It should be ready after 15 minutes.  Turn off the oven and leave the croutons in oven for another 15 minutes or so.

Dressing:


1 anchovy fillet (the ones in olive oil)
the juice of one lemon
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 large dash of Worcestershire sauce
1 dash Tabasco
1 coddled egg
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
3 large garlic cloves (make sure to peel it).

Process all the ingredients in food processor.  Taste and adjust the salt.  Also, if the dressing is too sour, just add a little more oil.  If not tangy enough, just add a little more lemon juice.

The should be enough for two salads (or many individual salads).

If you are making it with mortar and pestle, grind the garlic with salt.  The add the anchovy fillet, grind that down to a paste, slowly add the remaining ingredients.  Be careful when adding the egg and lemon juice.



No comments: